Staff Writer

FALMOUTH – Falmouth High goalie Kirsten Mazur got a good idea of how difficult Monday’s game was going to be as Greely kept attacking for two periods.

“It was all in my end,” Mazur said. “That was exciting.”

Mazur made 13 saves in the first period and 29 in all. Her opportunistic teammates took over in the third period to lead Falmouth to a 4-1 win before an enthusiastic crowd at Family Ice Center.

Falmouth, the top team in the West, finished its regular season 17-1, losing its only game last Saturday to Brunswick, 5-3.

“I think we were surprised how good the Brunswick team was,” Mazur said. “And we knew (Greely) was going to be a hard game.”

Falmouth beat Greely in December, but then lost to the Rangers in an exhibition game over the Christmas break.

Greely (12-4) is in a battle with Brunswick for the top seed in the East. The Rangers showed their talent in the first two periods with a constant attack, and a defense that blocked and deflected several shots.

“Really, really strong 30 minutes,” Greely Coach Nate Guerin said. “We would have loved to bury more, but give credit to their goalie.

“Then we were really, really flat in the third period. Didn’t do a lot of things we’re used to doing.”

Greely took a 1-0 lead at 6:14 of the second period when Shannon Donovan redirected Freyja Victory’s slap shot.

But then the Rangers were caught in a rare lapse as Falmouth’s Lucy Meyer raced up the ice and scored from the left circle, tying the game at 6:36.

“I just shot it over her shoulder,” Meyer said. “I’m glad it worked.”

Greely got its fourth power play early in the third period, but Falmouth forwards Gabby St. Angelo and Abby Payson were pesky in the Rangers’ zone.

St. Angelo got control and shot from the boards. Goalie Emma Seymour made the save, but no teammates were there to clear the puck away. Payson poked it in for a 2-1 lead at 5:01

“Gabby did a great job getting it out of the corner,” Payson said. “I just tried to get a stick on it.”

With the lead, Falmouth kept pressing and defenseman Megan Fortier finally broke loose. Contained most of the game, Fortier roofed a goal at 6:23. Then she stormed in on a breakaway and lifted a backhand for the Yachtsmen’s fourth goal at 10:37.

“It took us a little while to calm down and get refocused,” Falmouth Coach Rob Carrier said. “We came off a tough loss to Brunswick. The good thing about this game was that it was right after it.

“The girls really wanted to get back on track before the playoffs.”

Falmouth will have nearly two weeks off before the regional semifinals on Feb. 11.

Greely still has two games to go, including a challenging one Wednesday against West contender York.


Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: KevinThomasPPH