FORT WORTH, Texas — Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage described it as a “punch out of nowhere” when he started seeing reports that IndyCar Series drivers were concerned about how the fence was constructed at the fast oval.

Especially since not a single driver had ever expressed any such concern to him.

“I don’t know why a speedway that had two races last year with one caution between them is suddenly the target,” Gossage said Tuesday. “We’re the only people that have had any engineers look at it, so we don’t understand it. But I think everybody has a better handle on it.”

Gossage’s comments came during his track’s annual media day, which was held a day after several IndyCar drivers dismissed any notion of boycotting their June race at Texas.

IndyCar driver Graham Rahal, who was at the track for the media day, said there were some questions raised among drivers about the fencing, but never any talk of a boycott. Rahal said he feels safe racing at Texas, where the series has had some of its fastest and closest races.

“Everybody will come here, we’re going to put on a great show,” Rahal said. “We’re going to find a way to be here for many years to come.”

Safety has been a dominant topic in IndyCar since two-time Indianapolis 500 champion Dan Wheldon died when his head hit a fence post after his car went airborne during a 15-car crash in the season finale at Las Vegas in October. The high-banked Texas and Las Vegas tracks are owned by Bruton Smith and the fence at both is designed in a similar fashion.

“Whether the fence was in front of the pole or behind the pole, sadly the result probably would have been the same,” Rahal said.

Gossage said he has spoken with IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard and consulted with engineers about the fencing at Texas, which has hosted IndyCar in 15 consecutive seasons and is among the biggest events on the schedule.

“Safety is not something to joke about, safety is not something to take lightly,” said Gossage.