OLD ORCHARD BEACH — An electrical fire that started in a porch and spread to a bedroom on the upper floor of a two-story home in Old Orchard Beach left a tenant homeless tonight.

Capt. Norman Gendron said crews responded to the report of a fire at 19 Hillside Avenue around 5:45 p.m.

The man, who was renting the home, rescued his dog and was able to escape without injuries.

But Gendron said the fire caused heavy smoke and water damage, making the residence unlivable for the time being. The tenant was expected to spend the night with friends.

Gendron said faulty electrical wiring, which he said was installed in the 1940s, sparked the fire. The property’s owners live in New Hampshire.