Man barricades himself inside used-car dealership

Police late Monday remained on the scene of a standoff with an armed man who barricaded himself inside a used-car dealership on Route 4.

The incident began around noon. At 10 p.m., law enforcement officers from the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office and State Police tactical team remained on the scene, hopeful of resolving the situation peacefully.

It was not clear why the man was holed up inside the dealership.

Police had closed Route 4 to traffic as a precaution earlier in the day.


Run/walk raises $13,000 for soldier who lost arms, legs

An organizer said runners and walkers raised more than $13,000 Monday for wounded Army Staff Sgt. Travis Mills, 25, who lost both arms and legs in April after he stepped on an explosive in Afghanistan.

More than 370 people gave money or participated in the 5K event, said Ashley Harriman, a cousin of Mills’ wife, Kelsey Buck. Harriman said she began planning the event shortly after Mills was injured.

“When this all happened, we were all overwhelmed with emotion,” she said. “It’s hard to help from Maine. But this makes it more meaningful than writing a check.”

Mills, who is undergoing rehabilitation at a military facility out of state, watched much of the event through Skype. Harriman said she hopes he can attend the event in person next year.


Two die in head-on collision; three injured, one seriously

Police were investigating a head-on crash that killed two people and injured three others Sunday evening in this coastal Hancock County town.

Media outlets reported the accident happened shortly after 7 p.m. on Oak Point Road in Trenton.

The sheriff’s office told WCSH-TV that the driver of a southbound car lost control and collided with an oncoming car. The first car ran off the road, struck an embankment, rolled over and hit two trees. All three people in the car were ejected.

Investigators said the crash killed the 23-year-old driver, Joseph White of Trenton, and his 22-year-old passenger, James Crawford of Otis. A third passenger, 20-year-old Ali Gray of Trenton, was hospitalized in serious condition.

The two people in the second vehicle suffered minor injuries.


Man, 20, airlifted to hospital with burns from campfire

A 20-year-old man had to be flown by LifeFlight helicopter to a burn treatment center Sunday night after a campfire in someone’s backyard flared up and burned the man’s head and arms.

Lynn Talacko, Whitefield’s deputy chief for emergency medical services, said the man, whose name and address were not available, suffered first-degree burns. Talacko said he did not know which hospital the burn victim was taken to.

The incident took place around 9:45 p.m. at 22 Chamberlain Brook Lane in Whitefield.


Cub Scout hit by golf cart in parade suffers cuts, bruises

A sheriff’s official says a Cub Scout suffered cuts and bruises when he was hit by a golf cart that was participating in a Memorial Day parade in Newcastle.

The boy was one of four Scouts struck when the golf cart being operated by 55-year-old Frazier Hart went out of control just after 11 a.m. Monday. Officials did not release the name, age or condition of the boy, who was taken to Miles Memorial Hospital in Damariscotta.

Lincoln County Sheriff’s Lt. Michael Murphy told WMTW-TV that the cart was behind the group of marching Scouts. The parade was stopped for about 15 minutes after the accident.

Last October, a go-cart crash in Newcastle killed a rider during a pumpkin festival parade.


Stolen truck, medicine recovered; teen charged

Police say an 18-year-old has been charged with burglary and theft for stealing prescription medicine and a pickup truck.

A resident had reported to police that someone entered his home Friday, stole the medicine and took the truck from the driveway.

On Sunday night, a York County sheriff’s deputy spotted the truck and said he found Blaine Gallant, 18, of Waterboro in the pickup with a juvenile. The deputy said he also found the stolen medicine in the truck.

Gallant was charged with burglary and theft and is being held at York County Jail on $500 cash bail. He is scheduled to make a court appearance today.

The sheriff’s office said the juvenile in the truck was not involved with the burglary or theft and was released to the custody of his parents.


Airport granted $4.9 million for improvements to apron

Bangor International Airport has been awarded a grant of nearly $5 million to make improvements to its general aviation apron.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded the $4.9 million grant in support of the airport’s plan to improve the apron, an area that’s used for passenger loading and unloading and routine maintenance.

Interim airport Director Tony Caruso said that once the work is completed, the general aviation ramp will be able to handle up to 150,000 pounds, allowing it to accommodate Boeing 737s and corporate aircraft of similar size. Currently, the airport’s apron can’t accommodate anything over 100,000 pounds.

The work is expected to be done by September or October.


Islands’ population up 6% since 1990, report shows

A new report on Maine’s 15 island communities shows that the island population has increased about 6 percent since 1990.

The Rockland-based Island Institute’s “Island Indicators” report provides a detailed look at various indicators affecting Maine’s year-round island communities.

According to the report, the population grew by nearly 12 percent on Casco Bay islands and by a little over 5 percent on Penobscot Bay islands from 1990 to 2011, while falling by 8 percent on islands in eastern Maine.

The report further says that the median income on 11 of the 15 island communities is higher than the state as a whole. The higher incomes likely resulted from native and summer islanders earning a living elsewhere before returning to or settling on the islands.


Skydiver in hospital after bone-breaking landing

A 34-year-old Corinth man is recovering from injuries he sustained during a hard landing while skydiving.

Police say Steve Straub was taken by helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor after the hard landing at Pittsfield Airport around 10 a.m. Sunday.

Pittsfield police Sgt. Timothy Roussin told the Bangor Daily News that Straub landed too fast and too hard, breaking a leg and other bones.