BELLEFONTE, Pa. — Jerry Sandusky’s attorneys opened their client’s defense Monday by calling to the stand two former coaching colleagues who said that it was routine for adults and boys to shower together in large public locker rooms.

Richard Anderson, a college teammate and Penn State coaching colleague of Sandusky’s, was the first to testify, and vouched for the defendant’s “wonderful” reputation. When asked by prosecutor Joseph McGettigan III if he’d seen Sandusky showering with boys, Anderson answered, “Yes. I have also.”

He said, “I do it all the time,” and added, “There are regularly young boys at the YMCA showering at the same time that there are older people showering.”

Sandusky, however, is accused of more than showering in the company of young boys. He’s accused of molesting them. Prosecutors say the assaults occurred in Penn State facilities, hotel rooms and Sandusky’s home, and involved 10 boys over the course of 15 years. Sandusky has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Judge John Cleland originally predicted a three-week trial, but he surprised the packed courtroom here early Monday afternoon by adjourning for the day, saying the defense would likely rest Wednesday and the two sides could present closing arguments Thursday morning. The jury will have a long list of charges to sort through, but a verdict by the end of the week seems possible.

Monday’s start of the Sandusky defense proved anticlimactic by any standard. There has been much speculation that Sandusky’s wife, Dottie, could testify in his defense. His attorney, Joseph Amendola, implied during opening statements last week that Sandusky himself would take the stand. And the defense has steadily suggested that alleged victims have been inconsistent in their stories and may be motivated by the possibility of a big payout in civil suits.

But when the defense finally got its turn Monday, it presented only a few character witnesses who spoke in general terms about Sandusky’s sterling reputation.

Sandusky is charged with 51 counts related to child sex abuse. Prosecutors dropped one charge Monday because of the statute of limitations.