PHILADELPHIA – Terry Murray, a defenseman who won two Calder Cups as a member of the Maine Mariners from 1977-79, was named Friday as coach of the Philadelphia Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms.

Murray, 61, was fired in December as coach of the Los Angeles Kings, who went on to win the Stanley Cup under Darryl Sutter.

Murray was coach of the Flyers from 1994-1997, leading Philadelphia to the Stanley Cup finals in 1997.

He was 118-64-30 in 212 games for the Flyers.

“I got a call from (Flyers General Manager) Paul Holmgren before the draft. We made a commitment over the phone to do this,” Murray said.

“There wasn’t a lot of stuff coming in from the NHL teams after I got fired. The phone rings for about four or five days and then it goes silent, and there was nothing up until (Holmgren) called me.

“I took some time to think about it, and I’m a hockey coach, I love to coach.”

The Kings, who went 16-4 in the postseason, will give Murray a championship ring, and Sutter rented Murray’s house in Manhattan Beach, Calif., after taking the job.

COYOTES: Phoenix re-signed center Andy Miele, who played with the Portland Pirates last season, to a one-year, two-way contract.

Financial terms weren’t released.

The 5-foot-9 Miele had 16 goals and 38 assists in his first pro season for the Pirates. His 54 points led the team.


FLAMES: Calgary signed right wing Lee Stempniak and defenseman Cory Sarich to two-year contract extensions.

Stempniak will earn $5 million, and Sarich agreed to a deal worth $4 million.


THE NHL and the players’ union opened negotiations on a new labor deal by meeting for about 2½ hours.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and the deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, met with the NHLPA executive director, Donald Fehr, union special counsel Steve Fehr and several player reps at the league’s New York offices.


WILD: Minnesota re-signed enforcer Matt Kassian to a two-year deal.

Kassian, 25, played in 24 games for the Wild last season. He scored both of his goals in a March 1 game against Montreal, and racked up 55 penalty minutes.