Tractor trailer driver injured after truck hits power lines

Massachusetts State Police say a truck driver was injured when his tractor trailer rig struck overhead power lines that fell across Interstate 95.

The accident closed the highway for more than two hours Thursday afternoon between Exits 4 and 5, backing up traffic for miles.

Police said the driver stopped, got out of his rig, and suffered an electrical shock. He was taken to Sturdy Memorial Hospital.

Police said a second tractor trailer on the other side of the interstate also struck the power lines and stopped. Police said at least four cars were damaged in the accident.

The highway reopened after National Grid utility workers shut down power to the lines and removed them.


Fox that attacked couple tests positive for rabies

Authorities say a fox that was killed after attacking an elderly New Hampshire couple and police officers in Freedom last week was rabid.

The Carroll County sheriff’s department told WMWV-FM Thursday that the gray fox tested positive for the disease.

The fox was destroyed after attacking a woman who was walking her dog around 8 a.m. Friday and biting her on the leg.

The woman’s husband came out of the house to help her and the fox latched onto his arm and wouldn’t let go.

They were able to call 911 and when officers arrived, the fox bit two of them before the officers shot it. The carcass was brought to a lab to be tested for rabies.


Autopsy results still pending for man shot with stun gun

Vermont State Police say it’s going to be a few more weeks before autopsy results are available on a man who was shot with a stun gun.

The New Hampshire Chief Medical Examiner’s Office conducted an autopsy on Macadam Mason in June. That included tests that can take several weeks to complete.

A state police spokeswoman told The Burlington Free Press the investigation is ongoing.

Police said the 39-year-old Mason, of Thetford, called a crisis line, indicating he might harm himself or others.

State troopers went to his home and tried to settle him down, but police said Mason moved aggressively, with his fist raised, toward a trooper. Mason was shot in the chest by the stun gun. He was later pronounced dead at a New Hampshire hospital.


Smuttynose holds ceremony for new Hampton restaurant

The Smuttynose Brewing Company is holding a groundbreaking ceremony for its new restaurant in Hampton, N.H.

The project is financed in part through federal programs, including a loan through the Small Business Association.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen is joining the owners and employees of the brewery for the event at 5:45 p.m. Thursday.

Smuttynose is based in Portsmouth.

— From news service reports