KENNEBUNK — A mother and her three children are without a home after a clothes dryer malfunctioned, igniting a fire that destroyed a 153-year-old home in Kennebunk and sent a firefighter to the hospital.

Kennebunk District Fire Chief Bill VanDeinse said about 50 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported shortly after 10 a.m. for more than four hours.

A mother and three children – two 10-year-olds and a 13-year-old – made it out of the home at 192 Alfred Road safely and are staying with a friend, VanDeinese said. They were hot harmed, he said.

Two family pets – a cat and a guinea pig – perished, while a second cat remains unaccounted for, he said.

VanDeinse said the two-story home was a total loss. According to tax records, the home was built in 1860 and was valued at $163,000.

A firefighter sustained minor injuries and was transported to York Hospital, he said.

VanDeinse said the fire started when a clothes dryer located on the first floor of the home malfunctioned.

Firefighters from Alfred, Arundel, Biddeford, Goodwin’s Mills, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Wells responded to the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.