Man arrested for offering girls candy at bus stops

South Berwick police have arrested a 23-year-old sex offender after reports Tuesday morning of a man in a car offering candy to fifth-grade girls at two bus stops.

Police searched for a newer model, red four-door Hyundai believed to be involved and found a car matching that description on Hubbard Road. Police charged Kevin J. Weeden, 23, with solicitation of a child to commit a prohibited act, failure to register as a sex offender and prohibited contact with a minor in a sex-offender-restricted zone.

Maine’s sex offender registry lists Weeden as an out-of-state registrant who was convicted of indecent liberties with a minor by a U.S. Army special court-martial in Virginia. Weeden last updated his registration in August 2012.

Weeden is being held at the York County Jail in Alfred on $25,000 bail.

Members of the School Administrative District 60 community were notified of the incidents by Superintendent Steven Connolly in a notice posted on the school website.


Pedestrian in critical condition after being hit

A 34-year-old man is in critical condition at Maine Medical Center in Portland after being hit while walking on Milton Mills Road in Lebanon on Monday.

The man was walking west on the right hand side of the road, wearing dark clothing, and at least two cars swerved to avoid him, said Maine State Police Trooper Kyle Wells. The next car hit the man. The driver pulled over and called 911 at 4:49 p.m., Wells said.

The crash shut down the road near 339 Milton Mills Road in North Lebanon.

When rescue workers arrived the pedestrian had life-threatening injuries but was still breathing, the rescue department said in a news release. The department tried to summon a medical helicopter but one could not respond because of poor weather, the department said.

The man was taken by ambulance to Goodall Hospital in Sanford, then transferred to Maine Medical Center.

Wells said he is not releasing the names of those involved because he is still collecting statements about the incident.


Safety officials investigate roofing contractor’s death

Workplace safety officials are investigating the death of a roofing contractor at Washington County Community College in eastern Maine.

Calais police say the man fell off a ladder late Monday afternoon and died at the scene. Calais police declined to identify the victim.

The workers were installing a roof on an addition to the one-story Howland Building, a 13,380-square-foot building that houses classroom, shop, office and storage space.


Game wardens suspend search for Canadian

Maine game wardens have suspended their search for a 67-year-old man from Quebec in a remote and snow-covered part of northern Maine.

Officials say 26 game wardens, including dog and dive teams as well as search team volunteers and five forest rangers searched for Renald Poulin but found no signs of him by Tuesday evening.

Officials say Poulin crossed into the U.S. on Thursday and his vehicle was found Saturday near the Umbazooksus Dam close to an old rail line, which Poulin was interested in. The Warden Service said recent snowfall has made it nearly impossible to detect evidence. The Warden Service plans to search the area by plane this week when weather permits.


Man gets nine-year sentence for child porn

A Sanford man who had amassed a collection of child pornography that included 262 sexually explicit still images and 168 videos was sentenced on Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Portland to nine years in prison. Jerry Lord, 34, was also sentenced by U.S. District Judge Nancy Torresen to serve 10 years of supervised release after completing his federal prison term. The judge ordered Lord to pay $13,193 in restitution.

Lord pleaded guilty to a single count of possession of child pornography May 15.

The charge against Lord stems from Nov. 1, 2012, when federal agents executed a search warrant at the home Lord shared with his mother in Sanford after learning that he was sharing child pornography online over a peer-to-peer network.


Teacher credited for performing Heimlich

A Paris Elementary School teacher is being credited with saving the life of a student.

Superintendent Rick Colpitts told the board of directors at Monday’s meeting that teacher Alice Deegan performed the Heimlich maneuver on the sixth-grader after a water bottle cap got stuck in the student’s throat.

The Sun Journal reported that Colpitts said Deegan immediately recognized the look of panic in the boy’s face, assessed the situation and dislodged the cap in the cafeteria just before the Thanksgiving break.

Principal Jane Fahey said that once the cap was dislodged and it was determined the boy was all right, there was a huge roar from the children and a standing ovation for their teacher.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.