MADISON — A teenage girl is credited with saving her family’s home and five pets by promptly reporting a fire that broke out from a wood stove Friday.

“It was an awful good call. If she had waited five minutes more that fire would have spread through the house,” said Deputy Fire Chief Don French of the Madison Fire Department.

The two-story wood frame house at 237 Shusta Road belongs to George and Mary Currie, who were not home at the time. Their daughter, Alex Currie, called her mother at work Friday around 11 a.m. when she noticed a strange smell and saw flames coming from the stove, her mother said.

No one was injured in the fire and Alex got the family’s two dogs and three cats out of the house, her mother said.

Flames spread quickly from the first floor, where the stove is located, through the ceiling and prompted a response from three area fire departments, including the Anson and Skowhegan departments.

The damage to the house is mostly confined to the inside and it should be salvageable, French said. The family has insurance, Mary Currie said.


Rachel Ohm can be contacted at 612-2368 or at:

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.