A fire destroyed the kitchen of an Auburn Street apartment in Portland on Friday, days after another kitchen fire heavily damaged a Riverside Street home.

The fire at 246 Auburn St. was reported shortly before 4 p.m., city spokesman Timothy Nangle said. Fire crews said heavy smoke was pouring from the apartment when they arrived and firefighters evacuated the building, according to Nangle.

The fire destroyed the kitchen, fire crews said, and heavy smoke left the rest of the building unlivable.

Nangle said fire crews reported that smoke alarms were working in the building when they arrived.

No one was injured.

On Monday, another kitchen fire heavily damaged a house at 1087 Riverside St., prompting fire officials to remind residents that they should never leave a stove unattended while cooking. According to the National Fire Protection Agency, cooking equipment is involved in 43 percent of all home fires and 38 percent of fire injuries in the home are related to the use of cooking equipment.