CAPE ELIZABETH — A 65-year-old woman died of natural causes Friday, Dec. 26, before a fire broke out in the kitchen of her 75 Starboard Drive home.

The determination on the death of Lamy Alkurdy was made Saturday after an autopsy by the state medical examiner’s office, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said.

The fire was reported around 1:05 p.m. It started on the stove and spread to some kitchen cabinets before firefighters put it out, Sgt. Joel Davis of the Office of the State Fire Marshal said. 

Alkurdy was discovered by a relative who was returning to the home, and emergency responders were unable to revive her at the scene. Davis said the fire was contained to the kitchen. 

David Harry can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 110 or [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidHarry8.

Sidebar Elements

Cape Elizabeth Town Manager Michael McGovern, third from left, meets with firefighters Friday, Dec. 26, at 75 Starboard Drive, where a kitchen fire broke out around 1 p.m. Resident Lamy Alkurdy, 65, died of natural causes before the fire started, authorities said.

filed under: