FALMOUTH — Falmouth remembered, learned and did something Tuesday night it failed to do in its first game against Yarmouth this season.

It won.

The Yachtsmen, who lost an 18-point halftime lead, then the game, to the Clippers in their first meeting, this time led by 17 at the half and held on for a 59-49 victory in a Western Maine Conference boys’ basketball game.

“We knew they would come back,” said Falmouth standout Jack Simonds. “They’re too good of a team but we learned from last time and got the (win).”

Falmouth (8-3) which entered the game ranked fourth in Western Class A, captured its fourth straight win and earned valuable Heal points. Yarmouth (8-3), ranked second in Western Class B, lost for the third time in the last four games.

“I think the losses are weighing on us just like the wins were earlier,” said Yarmouth Coach Adam Smith. “We have to get back at it in practice Wednesday and get ready for Lake Region.”

Yarmouth pulled within 10 points after three quarters, then scored the first five points of the fourth on a Cody Cook basket and Jordan Brown 3-pointer.

Falmouth called a timeout to regroup and it worked. It got a little chaotic for the Yachtsmen late in the third quarter and early in the fourth, when Yarmouth used quickness to force turnovers. But that will happen with a young team that’s learning as the season goes along.

Luke Velas hit a couple of free throws for Falmouth upon returning to the floor and Sam Skop followed with an inside basket to get the lead back to nine.

Falmouth still wasn’t home free, not by a long shot, but would be after back-to-back clutch plays by their stalwarts, Simonds and guard Colin Coyne.

Simonds, a 6-foot-6 senior headed to Bowdoin College, blocked a shot by Musseit M’Bareck, who drove to the basket. He then grabbbed the ball and fired an outlet pass to Coyne just before midcourt.

A few dribbles later, Coyne pulled up and drilled a 3-pointer that extended the lead to 50-38.

“I felt good all game making the 3s,” said Coyne. “I felt I would make this one. Leading by 17 at halftime, we thought about the last game and how Yarmouth came back. We knew they would make a run. They’re long and athletic.”

Sandwiched around his clutch 3-pointer, Coyne sank a pair of free throws. Yarmouth never got close again.

Coyne finished with a game-high 23 points which included four 3-pointers. Simonds added 20 points, 11 in the opening quarter.

Despite making it a five-point game early in the fourth after having the double-digit deficit at the half, Smith refused to call it a comeback.

“We played poorly for four quarters and were never in the game,” he said. “We just happened to make it close. Falmouth can defend and score. I felt Muss (M’Bareck )and Cody Cook dug deep and got after it.”

Cook led Yarmouth with 20 points, the bulk coming on slick drives in the lane.

Coyne opened the game with a pair of 3-pointers. Simonds then took charge, scoring the next 11 points for the Yachstmen. Yarmouth called a timeout when it was 11-0.

M’Bareck scored Yarmouth’s first basket on a drive with 3:44 left in the quarter. Brown then followed with another basket, but Simonds closed the quarter with two baskets to make it 17-6.

Yarmouth outscored Falmouth 17-10 in the third quarter to cut it to 41-31 after three. Cook had nine points in the period.