Police charged a second man Monday in the shooting death of a Scarborough teenager and the wounding of another man at a recording studio in Portland’s Old Port two months ago.

Gang Deng Majok, 30, of Portland was arrested at 14 Gooch St. in Saco at 4:15 p.m., police said. Johnny Ouch, 20, of Westbrook was arrested on July 16. They are both charged with murder and elevated aggravated assault and are being held without bail at the Cumberland County Jail in Portland.

Nancy Laxson, mother of Treyjon Arsenault, who was killed in the shooting, said Monday evening that she was thrilled to hear of Majok’s arrest. Police have not identified the 20-year-old Portland man who was wounded.

“With (Majok’s) arrest and Johnny Ouch’s, it’s two more people off the streets that won’t hurt anyone else,” said Laxson, who intends to be in court in connection with the case whenever possible.

“I want them to look at me. I want them to see me and see what a good mother I am and the love I have for my child, and how dare they take him away from me!” she said.

Laxson said neither man was acquainted with her son as far as she knew.

Police Chief Michael Sauschuck said Portland officers have worked hard on the case, and he thanked law enforcement from other jurisdictions – including Saco, Biddeford and the U.S. Marshals Service – for helping catch Majok.

“It’s always incredibly important to get dangerous people off the street and out of our community,” Sauschuck said. “In the scope of things, (homicides) are rare in the state of Maine and certainly in the city of Portland. When these things happen in the city, the officers and detectives, they take these incidents very personally and they work incredibly hard to get justice for the victims and the victims’ families.”

Arsenault, 19, died of injuries he suffered at Da Block Studios, at 371 Fore St. in Portland, shortly before midnight on May 25, Memorial Day.

Arsenault was shot multiple times in the abdomen. Police have said he was among seven to 11 people at the rap recording studio on the building’s third floor when the shooting broke out, and that at least two people were seen running from the scene.


Ouch was arrested without incident at a residence at 73 East Valentine St. in Westbrook. Majok, of 4 Kennedy Park in Portland, was hiding out until his arrest Monday afternoon, police said. The place where he was arrested, 14 Gooch St. in Saco, is listed as the address for Saco Island Storage, located in an old mill building with boarded-up windows on Factory Island.

Portland police haven’t revealed a motive in the shootings, and Sauschuck would not elaborate on the investigation. Police planned to provide more details at a news conference Tuesday morning.

Ouch has no adult criminal record, and his only publicly available conviction is for criminal mischief as a juvenile in 2010.

Majok has a lengthy criminal history, although it’s not clear whether he has spent significant time in prison.

According to the State Bureau of Identification, he was given a suspended sentence and fined $300 for refusing to submit to arrest, assault and violating bail conditions on Jan. 28, 2014. That was the night of a shooting outside Sangillo’s Tavern on Hampshire Street in Portland.

Majok was arrested right after the shooting not far from the bar, but police have not said whether he is a suspect. Police have said they do not believe that the Sangillo’s shooting – which contributed to the neighborhood bar being closed down – was a random act of violence. A 24-year-old was severely injured.

Majok has multiple convictions for violating bail conditions, including one in 2010 that led to 75 days in jail.

He was convicted of a criminal trespass that occurred Sept. 29, 2013, and was given a suspended sentence after separate charges of domestic violence terrorizing and refusing to submit to arrest were dropped.

A felony drug trafficking charge from 2011 that had been dismissed appears to have been reinstated in 2014, although there is no verdict or sentencing information in his record. There also was no information about the outcome of a 2009 drug trafficking charge. He was fined $300 in a 2006 assault.

Majok is prohibited from carrying a firearm, which could lead to additional charges, possibly in federal court.


Laxson said she was inexplicably emotional and was crying early Monday afternoon. She telephoned Portland police’s victim advocate and was told there were no new developments in the case. Two hours later, detectives called her to say Majok had just been arrested.

“It’s not bringing Trey back, but I’m glad they’re off the street,” she said. She said she has no anger toward the men’s families, and recognizes that those families – mothers, fathers, siblings and relatives – also will be hurting because of what Majok and Ouch allegedly did.

Laxson said she hopes people who know what happened the night her son was killed, but might have been afraid to speak, will now share their stories with police.

“I’m hoping with these two people finally in jail, people who were there that night and know what happened can help my family and help me lay Trey to rest peacefully,” she said. “He deserves this.”

Police have not shared with her what they believe happened that night, but Laxson has spoken with people who were there and others who have heard accounts of the shootings, she said.

“Trey was sitting on the sill, listening to the girl sing. Something was going on in another side of the studio place,” she said. “Shots fired. People went running and when Trey went running, he got shot several times.

“He had nothing to do with what was going on,” she said. “He was a young man that liked music.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.