ORONO — Blaine Byron sent a jolt through Alfond Arena twice Saturday, once with a nearly impossible goal and again with an overtime winner.

And the Maine hockey team has a four-game winning streak after dispatching Princeton 3-2 before an announced crowd of 4,016.

Byron, a junior forward, scored 2:56 into overtime after the Tigers rallied from a two-goal deficit in the third period. As a Princeton penalty expired, defenseman Dan Renouf calmly sent a seam pass diagonally to center Cam Brown, who immediately fired the puck to an uncovered Byron in front of the net. He slid it past Princeton goaltender Colton Phinney – the 50th shot on net by Maine – and the crowd roared.

“I just found a way to get my stick open and didn’t really have to do anything,” Byron said. “Brownie made a great pass just to put it on my stick and I just had to redirect it into the net.”

Phinney was outstanding to keep his team in the game but was helpless to prevent Byron from being the hero.

“They had an extra guy on the ice still because the penalty just ran out. Just was the extra guy kind of sitting there,” Phinney said. “But there was nothing we could do. Everyone picked up their guy but it was a good play by him.”

Phinney’s excellence was matched by Maine goaltender Matt Morris, who made 31 saves, several on breakaway attempts. He has been in net for all four wins the past two weekends for the Black Bears (4-8-3). He said seeing Phinney at the other end of the ice was inspiring. The two grew up near each other in New Jersey and have known each other since age 10.

“It was tough seeing him at the other end and then I just really wanted to compete and do my part,” Morris said.

“I’m trying to make sure my angles are on and not let up any sloppy rebounds, and a lot of talk behind the net with my ‘D.’ So hopefully we can continue this same work ethic and the results will come.”

Nobody showed a stronger work ethic than Byron, whose first goal, at 11:48 of the first period, was the wow moment of the season for Maine. Playing the point in a 1-3-1 defensive scheme, he picked off the pass by a Princeton defenseman and bulled his way to the net with Tigers pinching him from both sides. Switching from forehand to backhand and back again, he guided the puck past Phinney while crashing to the ice.

“I just kind of got a stick around the defenseman there when he tried to poke-check and then was just able to find the net,” Byron said.

Does he practice that move?

“No, not like that, but it worked out nicely.”

Maine Coach Red Gendron said the play showed the rare skill Byron possesses.

“He can hold onto the puck well and protect it. He’s got fast hands,” Gendron said. “There’s a lot of guys with fast feet, but you need to be able to coordinate that while you’re controlling the puck and somebody else is trying to kill you.”