PROVIDENCE, R.I.— The school resource officer cleared of wrongdoing for his use of force during the arrest of two teenagers isn’t returning to the school in Pawtucket where the incident occurred, the city’s public safety director said Wednesday.

Officer Jared Boudreault was reassigned to a vacant position within the Pawtucket Police Department’s detective division, according to Public Safety Director Antonio Pires.

Pires said he consulted Boudreault, police and school officials and police union representatives. He praised Boudreault for his professionalism and commitment to the department.

Investigators concluded last week that Boudreault acted in keeping with his training when applying what they called a “takedown maneuver” to a teenager at Tolman High School Oct. 14.

Pawtucket police say Boudreault responded when a 14-year-old started yelling in the hallway and punching a wall. Boudreault attempted to arrest the teen for disorderly conduct, and the teen’s 17-year-old brother jumped in and pushed Boudreault, they said. Then both brothers assaulted the resource officer, leading to the takedown, police said.

A student posted a video of the takedown online, prompting a protest the next day by about 200 students. Eight youngsters and two adults were arrested.

Boudreault didn’t immediately return a phone message Wednesday.

The police department will now fill the position at Tolman High School through a bid process among department members.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island has called on schools with resource officers to re-evaluate how they are used. Executive Director Steven Brown said he’s concerned that schools are ceding an enormous amount of control to resource officers.