The man killed in an early morning home invasion Thursday in Rangeley was a 29-year-old from New York City who was shot, authorities said Friday.

Michael Bokun of Manhattan was identified as the man who died by Maine State Police and the Office of Chief Medical Examiner, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety. The medical examiner’s office said Bokun died from a gunshot wound to the chest, according to McCausland.

Two other men were injured during the confrontation, and one of them was identified Friday as Hector Munoz, 48, also of New York City. Munoz was treated for a head injury at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, released, then arrested on a probation violation unrelated to the Rangeley incident, McCausland said in a news release. He is being held at the Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn.

The identity of the other injured man, who was a resident of the Main Street house where the incident happened, is not being released by authorities. He remains hospitalized with injuries that are not considered life-threatening.

State police evidence technicians were in the Rangeley house Friday morning as police continued to investigate, McCausland said.

Lt. Brian McDonough of the state police said at a news conference Thursday that the incident at 2564 Main St. was reported to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office around 1:30 a.m. Thursday. Police said Thursday they were investigating whether the incident was drug-related, but Friday’s news release didn’t offer any new information about that.

A Rangeley resident who asked that her name not be used said her cousin lives in the house with some other people, and she heard from family members that the residents of the house were awakened by someone who “kicked down the door.” The door to the house was open late Thursday morning and smeared with blood as state police, the Rangeley Police Department and the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department investigated.

Sue Lind, who operates a bed-and-breakfast across the street, said Thursday that in the 12 years she has lived in Rangeley she can’t recall anyone ever having been killed.

“It’s awfully sad,” she said. “It’s a very safe town. Kids are always running around, but of course in the summer there’s always an influx of people.”