A Parsonsfield man was arrested Sunday after allegedly using a large front-end loader and backhoe to damage a mobile home during a family dispute over rent payments and debris in the yard.

York County sheriff’s deputies were called to a home on Pendexter Road in Parsonsfield around 2:15 p.m. Sunday to deal with a dispute between John Bubar, 50, and his 27-year-old son, Michael Bubar.

The son and his family live in a mobile home on John Bubar’s property, according to police.

“Apparently, a dispute arose that day about rent payments and debris around the mobile home,” Sheriff Bill King said. “John Bubar took the extraordinary step of using a large construction-grade front-end loader and backhoe to damage the mobile home.”

Witnesses told police that John Bubar used the front-end loader to pick up the mobile home and drop it on the ground three times, causing significant damage to the home. He then started to drive the bucket into the home and only stopped when he learned that his 7-year-old grandson was inside, King said. The grandson was not hurt during the incident.

Reached by phone Monday, Michael Bubar’s wife declined to comment.


John Bubar was arrested on a charge of domestic violence reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon. Bail was set at $5,000.

Bubar is expected to appear in York County Superior Court on Feb. 10.

Sunday’s dispute is the seventh time the York County Sheriff’s Office has responded to a call related to the Pendexter Road address since the beginning of the year. Records show the agency responded to 10 calls there in 2015, including at least one call about a domestic disturbance.

Bubar has a prior criminal record in Maine that includes four misdemeanors, dating back to 1989, when he was found guilty of terrorizing. He was fined $150 and given a six-month jail sentence, which was suspended.

In 1997, Bubar was fined $200 on a charge of theft by receiving stolen property.

In 1999, Bubar paid $500 in fines and restitution after being convicted on a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to animals. His 30-day jail sentence was suspended.

In 2002, he paid a $200 fine after a conviction for assault.

Megan Doyle contributed to this report.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: