A fire that damaged a duplex at 433 Bath Road last week was caused by a bathroom ceiling fan.

The fire was reported at approximately 12: 20 p. m. Thursday by a neighbor who was home at the time and smelled smoke. Because the fire was reported early, firefighters extinguished the fire quickly. Damage was contained mostly to one apartment, but was significant enough to displace the tenants of both units.

Brunswick fire and police departments determined that the fire was sparked by a bathroom fan left on in one of the apartments, said Brunswick Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Emerson.

“Some sort of an event took place within that fan unit and it ignited, spreading the fire up through the roof,” Emerson said Friday.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: