AUBURN — Emergency responders say a malfunction in a fire suppression system at the Auburn airport filled a building with foam and briefly trapped four people inside.

Firefighters responding to the Lufthansa hangar at Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport on Monday morning walked into a wall of foam higher than their heads, the Sun Journal reported.

Fire Chief Geoff Low said it appears an error caused the foam to discharge, filling the entire hangar.

Firefighters were able to find people who were lost inside the building. Low said they were on an upper level and were able to stay out of the foam itself.

The Sun Journal reported that a few people were covered in the foam and some inhaled it. Two people were taken to a hospital and were expected to be released.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: