A Whitefield family is without a home after a fire destroyed their 1800s-era farmhouse Sunday morning.

The fire started in a laundry room electrical panel at about 4:27 a.m. and quickly spread through the two-story wooden home. All six people inside, including two adults and four children, and their dog escaped unharmed. Two cats are missing, said Whitefield Fire Chief Scott Higgins.

The home, which is owned by John Pagurko, was not insured. The family has received help from the American Red Cross in finding other accommodations, said Higgins.

The fire department, which was assisted by five surrounding Lincoln County towns, contained the fire in about 45 minutes and managed to keep it from spreading to an equipment-filled barn 20 feet from the house.

There were no injuries, Higgins said.

Beth Quimby can be contacted at 791-6363 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: @bquimby

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.