RICHMOND

A Richmond house was badly damaged in a Thursday morning fire that displaced a family and killed two dogs.

The fire, reported at 532 Beedle Road just before 8 a.m., began in the kitchen and had spread to the living room by the time the homeowner arrived and reported it.

Richmond Fire Chief Matt Roberge said Gardiner firefighters — who were first to arrive — were able to control the blaze quickly. However, the house, which is insured, sustained extensive first floor damage and heat and smoke damage on the second floor.

No person was injured but the family’s dogs perished, Roberge said.

Crews responded from Richmond, Gardiner, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Litchfield, Dresden, Woolwich and Pittston fire departments. Most had cleared the scene by 10:30 a.m.

Roberge said the fire marshal’s investigator confirmed the fire was accidental and began with the propane stove.

According to the town’s assessing database, the home is owned by Eric and Megan Proctor.

The American Red Cross of Maine said it had a disaster action team working Thursday with four individuals displaced by the fire to ensure that they have food, a safe place to sleep and other essentials following a single-family home fire.

“Over the next several days, the Red Cross will remain in contact with them to provide financial assistance and community referrals as they begin to make their road to recovery,” the organization stated in a press release.

A crowd funding page for the family has been set up through YouCaring at http://bit.ly/2vYEFvu.

[email protected]timesrecord.com



Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: