Brunswick’s football team celebrates last weekend’s 21-13 win at Cony in a Class B North semifinal.

Mt. Ararat’s Mason Brigham battles a Lewiston defender for the ball during the teams’ Class A North Final last week. The Eagles season ended with a painful 1-0 loss to the defending and eventual repeat state champs.

And then there was one.

Brunswick’s football team will play in the Class B North Final Friday night as the final remaining fall sports squad in the Mid-Coast.

That’s because the Dragons won their playoff game last week, while Mt. Ararat’s boys’ soccer team fell in the regional final.

Brunswick went 5-3 in the regular season, closing with a 30-6 home loss to Cony, but last Friday, the Dragons, ranked third in the region, who beat No. 6 Brewer, 35-13, in the quarterfinals, got another shot at Cony, this time in Lewiston due to poor conditions on the Rams’ field in Augusta.

This time, Brunswick took care of business, winning, 21-13. 

Chandler Coombs returned an interception 33-yards for a touchdown to get the Dragons on the board first.

“Quarterbacks don’t see me,” Coombs said, laughing. “It might be because I’m small.”

The Rams answered and took a 13-7 lead to halftime, but in the third period, Nate Goddard’s 2-yard TD run pulled the Dragons evened. A second Coombs interception set up the winning score, a 10-yard pass from Nate Girardin to Treyvon McKenzie.

“I know Treyvon has the jumps and he can do it,” Girardin said. “He’s been reliable all season. … It was definitely a well-executed play.”

Goddard’s two-point conversion rush provided the final margin.

“I’m at a loss for words for this win right here,” Coombs said. 

“We’ve been practicing for Cony for two weeks, really,” Brunswick coach Dan Cooper said. “We believed we could beat this team.”

The Dragons improved to 7-3 and will host No. 4 Lawrence (6-4) Friday at 7 p.m. in the Class B North Final. On Oct. 5, Brunswick won at Lawrence, 55-28.

The winner will meet either defending state champion Marshwood (9-1) or Kennebunk (10-0) in the state final Saturday, Nov. 17 at Fitzpatrick Stadium in Portland.

On the pitch, Mt. Ararat’s boys’ soccer team was ranked second in Class A North and after downing No. 7 Hampden Academy (3-0) and third-seeded Bangor (3-2), the Eagles went to top-ranked, defending Class A champion Lewiston for the regional final last Wednesday.

The Eagles couldn’t score and surrendered a goal early in the second half for a 1-0 loss, ending their season at 13-3-1.

“We gave them everything they had, you know?” said Mt. Ararat Coach Jack Rioux. “One call, they scored, it happens, you know? We did had a chance at the end. You know, soccer gods weren’t on our side today.”

Kennebec Journal staff writer Drew Bonifant and Sun Journal staff writer Wil Kramlich contributed to this story.