DOVER-FOXCROFT — Mayo Regional Hospital is acknowledging blame for the overdose death of a man who went to the emergency room suffering from an allergic reaction a week ago.

The middle-aged man, whose name was undisclosed, died after emergency room workers gave a massive overdose of a medication aimed at helping the man, who was suffering symptoms of anaphylaxis. The man arrived at the hospital’s emergency room on the night of June 4.

Ralph Gabarro, Mayo’s chief executive officer, told the Bangor Daily News that the hospital was taking full responsibility for the man’s death. He described it as “nothing short of a tragedy.”