SOUTH BERWICK – In an opener that lacked some of the traditional trappings of high school football, Biddeford jumped to an early lead and survived a few trying moments before finally putting away Marshwood 30-12 Friday afternoon.

The game was moved up six hours from its scheduled starting time because of anticipated stormy weather.

“It’s tough playing a 1 o’clock game on a Friday,” said Biddeford quarterback Tyler Audie. “It’s definitely a different atmosphere. You’re not under the lights. There’s not too many people. A lot of people had to work. But we got through it. We didn’t play our best, but a win’s a win.”

Marshwood’s first two possessions ended with a bungled punt attempt and a fumble, both leading to Biddeford touchdowns.

The Tigers scored on drives of 20 and 31 yards. Audie ran in from seven yards and fullback Nick Gagne from a yard out to make it 14-0 after one quarter.

“We got those first two scores,” Audie said, “and maybe we did think it was going to be an easier game.”

A dropped pass in the end zone on fourth down prevented a third Biddeford touchdown, or the game might have turned into a rout.

Instead, Marshwood’s offense — held without a first down until its fifth possession — kicked into gear late in the second quarter with a 14-play drive covering 68 yards.

Junior quarterback Troy Pappas completed three of five passes along the way, including a 3-yard score to sophomore Reggie Muchemore with 5.6 seconds remaining before halftime that made it 14-6.

“It takes everything you have to win football games in Class A,” Biddeford Coach Scott Descoteaux said. “We knew Marshwood was well-coached. They’re big and physical. It took everything we had to find a way to cap this one.”

The Tigers regained momentum by holding Marshwood to a single first down in the first four Hawks’ possessions of the second half.

Meanwhile, junior Andrew Descoteaux (no relation to the coach) filled in at fullback for the injured Gagne and traded off with Audie in moving the chains.

After six consecutive runs, Audie faked a handoff and dumped a pass to Ryan Webb, who scampered 35 yards to complete a 43-yard scoring drive. With a successful conversion pass, Biddeford led 22-6 after three quarters.

“We were putting it down their throat a little bit, — run, run, run,” Webb said. “So we thought we’d go right over the middle, see if we could catch them off guard, and we did. Definitely a big play.”

Each team scored on its final possession, with Biddeford driving 83 yards in five plays, none bigger than a 60-yard completion from Audie to D.J. Shannon. That set up a 2-yard scoring run by Andrew Descoteaux.

Marshwood took all of the remaining minute and 43 seconds — and then some. On fourth down from the 9, Pappas rolled left and scored moments after the final horn. A conversion would have had no bearing on the outcome, so none was attempted, leaving the final score 30-12.

Audie finished with 68 yards rushing and 149 passing, completing 5 of 11 attempts and never turning the ball over. Muchemore led Marshwood with 95 yards on 23 carries. The Hawks lost two fumbles.

“We are certainly young,” Marshwood Coach John Caverly said, “but I was absolutely thrilled with the effort our kids played with.”

Staff Writer Glenn Jordan can be contacted at 791-6425 or at:

[email protected]