LEWISTON — A firefighter says an apartment building fire in the city of Lewiston was started by children playing with matches or a cigarette lighter.

Fire Lt. Tim Myers says the Bartlett Street apartment fire was reported at 1:22 p.m. Sunday.

Myers says two children lit a mattress on fire. There were no injuries.

Myers says that about 35 firefighters from Lewiston and Auburn battled the fire in the first-floor front apartment of the building.

The Sun Journal newspaper says most of the damage was limited to the first-floor apartment. The only other occupied apartment in the eight-unit building suffered minimal smoke damage.