PORTLAND — The Portland Fire Museum is welcoming visitors today for its ninth annual open house. 

The museum, built in 1837 to serve as a fire house, girls school and political meeting space, is listed as a National Historic Building, Greater Portland Landmarks. Visitors will have the opportunity to view historic films, tour engines and view memorabilia. Michael Daicy and Don Whitney will be on hand to sign copies of their book “Portland’s Greatest Conflagration, The 1866 Fire Disaster.”

The museum is located at 157 Spring Street and the open house runs until 3 p.m. today. Admission is a suggested $5 donation for adults, $3 for children. Spring Street will be closed to traffic during this time between Park and State streets in order to display fire apparatus and for live music.