PORTLAND – If you’ve got some place to go or folks to visit in Portland’s East End on Aug. 4, you might want to start planning your travels now.
That’s because much of the neighborhood will be closed to traffic from 11 a.m. until after 9 p.m. due to a daylong music festival featuring British folk rockers Mumford & Sons in the city-owned Eastern Promenade Park.
The city has announced the various road closings and parking restrictions that will be in place during the show — and in some areas, before and after the show — to allow set up and break down of fences, staging and other equipment. The “Gentlemen of the Road Stopover” show is one of just four such events Mumford & Sons has planned this summer and will take place from noon to 9 p.m.
Besides Mumford & Sons the other bands scheduled to perform include Dropkick Murphys, St. Vincent, Dawes, The Maccabees, Apache Relay, Simone Felice, and Haim.
The area that will be closed to traffic beginning at 11 a.m. on Aug. 4 is bordered by Washington Avenue and Mountfort Street to the south, and the Eastern Promenade to the east and north.
People who live within that area can still drive to their homes, but must show identification with their address on it to city staff at barricades, said Nicole Clegg, a spokesperson for the city.
The other street closings and parking restrictions include:
• Aug. 2 at 7 a.m. – Top two parking lots on Cutter Street, within the park, will be closed to the public.
• Aug. 3 at 10 p.m. – Cutter Street and parking lots closed to the public, except for boat launch traffic.
• Aug. 4 from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. – East End Parking restrictions go into effect: Eastern Promenade (both sides) from Morning Street to Washington Avenue; Fort Allen Park (both sides); Walnut Street from the Eastern Promenade to Washington Avenue; Mountfort Street from Congress Street to Fore Street (both sides).
• Aug. 4 from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. – The following Streets will be closed as part of an emergency access route: Eastern Promenade from Morning Street to Walnut Street; Wilson Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade; Moody Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade; Congress Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade; Turner Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade; Quebec Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade; Melbourne Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade; Montreal Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade; Walnut Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade.
• Aug. 4 at 10 a.m. – East End Boat Launch closed to the public.
• Aug. 4 at 11 a.m. – Munjoy Hill closed to traffic. Handicapped parking is available on a first come first served basis along Cutter Street and in Fort Allen Park. Clearly marked handicapped vehicles will be allowed to pass the barricades until 6 p.m. Drivers must approach Cutter Street from Fore Street to enter.
There are a number of parking garages and lots within walking distance from the Eastern Promenade. To view a list or map, visit the city’s website at http://www.portlandmaine.gov/parking/offstreet.asp.