SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
Shaker Hill Apple Festival, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Shaker Village on Shaker Hill Road, Alfred. Activities include apple picking, food booths, pig raffle, wagon rides, silent auction, Shaker Museum exhibits, antique car rides, music, children’s activities and more. Free. Benefits York County Shelter Programs, Friends of Alfred Shaker Museum and Giles Family Farm. Call 324-1137 or go to shakerhillapplefestival.org.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 29
AND OCT. 6
Apple Saturday on Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village lawn, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 707 Shaker Road (Route 26), New Gloucester. Each Saturday features free cider pressing with a hand press. (Bring your own apples or buy them at the Shaker store.) Special events each Saturday: This Saturday, there will be an apple pie sale and a $45 workshop (10 a.m. to noon) on making Shaker applesauce; Apple Art for Kids on Sept. 29; and a cider and donut sale on Oct. 6. www.shaker.lib.me.us
• Apple Pumpkin Festival, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Livermore Falls Recreation Fields, 1 Foundry Road. Food, vendors and craft artisans, agricultural products, historical and educational displays, seasonal decorations, antique tractors, raffles, local music, Tiger Slide, bounce house, climbing wall and more. Free. Call 897-6755 or go to jay-livermore-lf.org.
• Monmouth Apple Festival, 5K race begins at 8 a.m., festival goes until 2 or 3 p.m. 748 Main St. Exhibits, museums, Cumston Hall tours, benefit breakfasts and more. Free. Call 577-4919 or email [email protected] www.friendsofcumstonhall.org
• 23rd Annual Cornish Apple Festival, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., center of Cornish village in Thompson Park, Route 25. Apples, freshly pressed cider, products from local growers and New England crafters, apple pie baking contest, more than 50 vendors, Model T car show and more. Free. Call 625-4993. www.cornish-maine.org/about_cornish_apple_festival.html
• 16th Annual Apple Acres Farm Bluegrass Gathering, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 363 Durgintown Road (three miles from Cornish Apple Festival) in South Hiram, chicken barbecue available at noon, adults $7, kids 16 and under free. Rain date is the following Saturday. Call 625-4777 or email [email protected] appleacresfarm.com
Manchester Apple Festival, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Lakeside Orchards, 318 Readfield Road. Pancake breakfast, 5K road race, parade, food, games, music and craft fair. Admission and most events free (maximum charge $1). Call 215-7487 or email [email protected] manchesterapplefestival.com
Great Maine Apple Day, noon to 4 p.m. at the Common Ground Education Center, 294 Crosby Brook Road, Unity. Workshops and talks about apple art, Maine’s rich apple history, cider making and organic tree care, see and taste rare and heirloom varieties, bring your “mystery” varieties for identification, vendors selling apples, apple products, homemade treats, cheeses, honey, wine and other local products. Admission $4, or $2 for members of MOFGA and the Maine Pomological Society. Call 568-4142 or go to mofga.org/Default.aspx?tabid=294.
– Compiled by Meredith Goad