HAMPDEN — Maine fire officials say a Hampden woman who suffered serious burns in an apartment fire saved herself by jumping out a second-floor window.

Officials say 37-year-old Jennifer Seekings was burned over half of her body when her bed caught fire, mostly likely because of a cigarette or candle.

She’s being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

The state fire marshal’s office says Seekings jumped to safety at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday. She was living in an apartment in an addition to a house owned by her mother.

Hampden is on the Penobscot River just south of Bangor.