WINDHAM

Animal control officer faces child pornography charge

Maine State Police say Windham’s animal control officer has been arrested and charged with possessing child pornography.

Twenty-two-year-old Joseph Payton was arrested at his home in Casco Wednesday afternoon and taken to the Cumberland County Jail. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says detectives seized Payton’s computer after finding multiple images and videos of child pornography on it. Payton is charged with possessing sexually explicit material.

In addition to his animal control job, Payton has served as a volunteer firefighter in Casco.

WEST BATH

Bath painting contractor sentenced for stealing

A painting contractor from Bath has been sentenced to a year in jail for stealing cash, jewelry and other items from homes where he had worked.

The Times Record reports that Matthew Atwood was also ordered by a judge in Sagadahoc District Court to three years of probation and to pay more than $17,000 in restitution.

Authorities say the 36-year-old Atwood stole jewelry and cash worth $11,000 from a Georgetown home where he had worked as a painting contractor in January 2012.

Police arrested Atwood a second time and charged him with theft after investigators identified property stolen from a second Georgetown complainant had been pawned in the Lewiston-Auburn area.

Cumberland County sheriff faces challenge in primary

Cumberland County Sheriff Kevin Joyce will face a challenge in the Democratic primary this summer.

Sgt. Michael Edes of the Maine State Police on Thursday announced his intention to run in the June primary.

Edes, who also has served as president of the Maine State Trooper’s Association, is retiring Friday from the State Police after 35 years in law enforcement.

Joyce has served as sheriff since his election in 2010 and served as chief deputy for seven years before that. He has been with the sheriff’’s office for 24 years.

No candidate has yet announced plans to run in the Republican primary.

Cumberland County’s sheriff oversees the operation of the county jail and a law enforcement division provided police protection in 13 towns.

BOSTON

Gov. Patrick says he will not run for vice president in 2016

Gov. Deval Patrick said he’s not interested in running for vice president in 2016 – even if Hillary Clinton calls.

Patrick made the comment during his monthly radio show on WGBH-FM Thursday.

Patrick, who has repeatedly said he’s not interested pursuing the presidency in 2016, described running for public office as an “unpleasant, intrusive, grueling business.”

Asked if he’s ruled out ever running for public office again, Patrick said “maybe one day but not in the foreseeable future.”

Pressed if he would reconsider if he got a call from presumed Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton, Patrick said, “if you’re asking me if I want to be vice president, the answer is, ‘no.’ ”

Patrick is in the final year as governor of Massachusetts and is not seeking re-election.

He’s said he’s anxious to get back to the private sector.

LYME, N.H.

Pastor camping outside to stress plight of homeless

A New Hampshire church pastor is camping outside in the cold this week to draw attention to homelessness and hunger.

Stephen Gehlert has put a small tent on the lawn of the Lyme Congregational Church.

The 64-year-old Gehlert, an experienced winter camper who had sleeping pads and two sleeping bags rated for 20 degrees, told the congregation of his plan Sunday.

On Wednesday, he returned to the parsonage down the road for a shower and warm breakfast after waking up.

“For other people, that’s not a sure thing,” he said. “It’s hopefully raising awareness and getting people thinking about those with no place to go.”

He tells the Valley News he intentionally timed the project to start on Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. He said King’s message was about creating a society where the less fortunate were treated with dignity and respect.

N.H. man sentenced in assault that led to fatality

A New Hampshire man has been sentenced to 10 1/2 to 22 years in prison in a dance-floor assault at a Portsmouth bar that led to the death of another man.

Zachary O’Neill of Dover was sentenced Thursday for manslaughter in the death of 24-year-old Joshua Krantz of Dover in April.

Police say O’Neill was angry that Krantz had spilled a drink on him earlier in the evening. O’Neill is accused of repeatedly striking Krantz in the head.

Police say Krantz was found dead in his apartment the following day on April 6.

– From staff and news services