BOSTON — Erin McNamara scored 19 points and the University of Southern Maine women used a late 6-0 run to pull out a 49-48 win over UMass-Boston at Clark Athletic Gym on Tuesday night.
Rebecca Knight made a pair of free throws with 2:32 left, and McNamara went 4 of 6 in the final 1:35 as the Huskies (17-7, 9-4 Little East Conference) pulled ahead 49-47.
The Beacons (13-11, 4-9) had a chance to tie it with a second left, but Andrea Suffredini made only the second of two free throws.
USM 65, UMASS-BOSTON 63: James Odneal made a layup with four seconds remaining to push the Huskies (7-17, 3-10 LEC) past the Beacons (6-18, 0-13) at Boston.
Connor Sullivan scored 19 points for Southern Maine. Tyler Penney added 13 points and 10 rebounds, and Cole Libby scored 12 points.
(8) KANSAS 64, TEXAS TECH 63: Andrew Wiggins’ layup with two seconds remaining lifted the Jayhawks (20-6, 11-2 Big 12) Kansas to a victory at Texas Tech (13-13, 5-8).
The freshman finished with 19 points and Joel Embiid added 18 for Kansas, which has 20 wins for the 25th consecutive season.
(9) VILLANOVA 82, PROVIDENCE 79: Ryan Arcidiacono had a three-point play with 3.6 seconds left in the second overtime to give Villanova (23-3, 11-2 Big 12) the advantage at Providence (17-10, 7-7).
Arcidiacono led the Wildcats with 21 points. JayVaughn Pinkston had 20 and James Bell 17. Villanova moved into a tie for first atop the Big East with Creighton.
(11) LOUISVILLE 80, SOUTH FLORIDA 54: Russ Smith scored 19 points and the host Cardinals (22-4, 11-2 American Athletic Conference) overcame foul troubles to run away from the Bulls (12-15, 3-11).
(17) IOWA STATE 85, (19) TEXAS 76: Melvin Ejim scored 25 points and DeAndre Kane added 22 to help Iowa State (20-5, 8-5 Big 12) beat visiting Texas (20-6, 9-4) for its fifth victory in six games.
Georges Niang had 20 points for the Cyclones, who clinched their third straight 20-win season under Coach Fred Hoiberg.
(18) KENTUCKY 84, MISSISSIPPI 70: Julius Randle had 25 points and 13 rebounds, Aaron Harrison added 17 points and Kentucky (20-6, 10-3 Southeastern Conference) beat host Mississippi (16-10, 7-6).
BERRY 13, BATES 10: Griff Tewksbury had four hits for the Bobcats, who opened with a loss to Berry College (4-3) in Rome, Ga.
Kevin Davis and Ryan McCarthy each drove in two for the Bobcats.
COVENANT 10, BATES 8: Will Carlton hit a two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to give Covenant (1-0) the advantage in the Bobcats’ second game at Berry.