Brian Butterfield, the third-base coach for the Boston Red Sox and a Bangor native, will be one of the nine individuals inducted into the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame this summer.
The 44th induction ceremony and banquet will be held Aug. 3 at the Holiday Inn By the Bay in Portland.
Butterfield, who played five years in the New York Yankees’ organization, is the son of the late Jack Butterfield, the longtime University of Maine coach who later worked as vice president of player development and scouting for the Yankees. Jack Butterfield was inducted in 1980.
• Bill Casavant of Presque Isle umpired at all levels over a 42-year career that included 25 Maine high school regional finals and 22 state finals.
• Rick Crawford of Topsham was an All-Telegram League selection at Portland High in 1969 and enjoyed an outstanding career at the University of Maine at Presque Isle and the Portland Twilight League.
• Jack Holmes of Stockton Springs pitched two no-hitters in his first four games at the University of Maine and later had success in the Eastern Maine semipro league and the Pittsburgh Pirates’ organization.
• Matt Kinney of Hermon pitched in the majors from 2000-05 for the Twins, Brewers, Royals and Giants. He is the Hermon High baseball coach.
• Paul Kostacopoulos of Annapolis, Md., was the University of Maine coach for nine seasons, compiling a 284-195 record that included one America East championship and one NCAA tournament appearance.
• Jason Lariviere of Buxton was a two-time All-American at the University of Southern Maine in 1994-95 and went on to play five years in the St. Louis Cardinals’ organization.
• Bob Nutter of Kennebunk was a 1971 All-Telegram League selection from Deering High, and a versatile hitter and pitcher for the University of Southern Maine. He was the 1978 MVP of the Portland Twilight League.
• Artie Taylor of Rumford was an icon of town team baseball and a slugging catcher for Rumford and Dixfield in the Pine Tree League. He made numerous appearances in the YABC national tournament in Battle Creek, Mich.
For reservations, contact Don Douglas at 846-3460 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Tom Chard can be reached at 791-6419 or at: