• Vaughn Staples was hired as director of operations for Lighthouse Imaging LLC in Windham, a portfolio company of Anania & Associates Investment Co. LLC.
He brings 25 years of business experience, leading operations, product development and sales teams. Staples founded Phoenix Design Systems, a printed circuit board software company in 2007.
• Andrew Ward joined Diversified Communications as a group exhibit sales manager.
Ward was previously employed by Camco Seafood LLC.
Sean Higgins also joined the firm as an online editor. Higgins was previously with Tyler Technologies in Yarmouth.
• Kyle Ouellette joined the digital services team at the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram as a Web developer.
Ouellette was previously with the Boston Globe/Boston.com, where he recently served as manager of advertising technology. He brings his experience with design and the development and implementation of websites and mobile applications at Boston.com. He also worked closely with the advertising and marketing teams on advertising and brand initiatives.
• Josh LaVerdiere joined the Morning Sentinel as an advertising account executive. Most recently, he was a sales agent for Century 21.
• Richard Novak joined Pierce Atwood LLP as a partner in the firm’s real estate practice.
Novak has more than 25 years of experience in real estate investment, development, permitting and finance. Prior to joining the firm, Novak was a partner at K&L Gates, where he served as a member of that firm’s distressed real estate task force.
• Unum recently added two new vice presidents and four new assistant vice presidents to its operations in Portland.
John King joins Unum as the vice president of large employer market development. Most recently, King served as regional vice president of client development for UnitedHealthcare in its national account business. He has over 20 years of sales and client management leadership experience in the insurance industry.
Jon Camire was named vice president of risk modeling and financial planning. Camire rejoins Unum after work as an independent consulting actuary, advising clients on the dynamics of health care reform.
Pasquale Lapomarda joins the finance department as assistant vice president of business analysis. Most recently, he held the role of senior director of data analytics at Direct Capital in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. He has more than 15 years of experience in data analytics.
Brandon Boey was named the assistant vice president and senior regulatory counsel of government affairs. Boey brings a mix of law and finance experience to the company. In previous roles, he was a litigation associate at Willkie Farr and Gallagher and an investment banker.
Susan Stowell joins Unum’s National Client Group business area as assistant vice president and health care segment leader. She has 13 years experience in the health care industry and was a health care consultant prior to joining Unum.
Joe Reny was named assistant vice president of business analysis. Reny is a certified public accountant. Most recently, he worked for Irving Oil as director of supply management.