CHINA — A local woman is staying with family members in Clinton after a fire destroyed her mobile home Thursday night and claimed the lives of two cats on Albion Road.

The fire is believed to have originated in a wood stove, according to China Village Fire Chief Tim Theriault.

“The fire was definitely started near the wood stove. It was a total loss and burned everything,” Theriault said.

The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. Thursday, and the house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived at the scene, he said.

According to the China Town Office, the home belonged to Joyce Bragg. She could not be reached for comment.

“She was very lucky. She ran out in her pajamas and no shoes, and it was like 10 below zero that night,” Theriault said. “I was shocked at how much the trailer was completely on fire. She was really lucky to get out.”

There were no reports of injuries to people in the fire, Theriault said.

A neighbor who asked not to be identified said Bragg lost everything in the fire, including two cats. In 2010, Bragg’s husband, Wayne, was killed when his pickup truck hit a patch of black ice and he lost control of the vehicle on U.S. Route 202 in Troy, according to a story in the Bangor Daily News.

“She’s just starting to recuperate from that, and now she lost everything,” the neighbor said.

Firefighters from Albion, South China, Weeks Mills and Winslow also responded.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm