A fire that heavily damaged a restaurant and apartment building in York Monday night was accidental and started in a storage area, fire officials said Tuesday.

The two-alarm fire was reported just after 11 p.m. Monday at Rick’s All Season Restaurant at 242 York St. The three and a half story brick building has a restaurant and storefronts at the street level and apartments above.

Fire Chief Chris Balentine said the fire started in a basement storage area near a linen closet and is considered accidental. There was flame damage in the basement and heavy smoke damage throughout the building. The fire was under control by 3 a.m.

The 12 occupants of the apartments were safely evacuated from the building. The American Red Cross helped them find local hotel rooms to stay in, Balentine said.

No one was injured.

The preliminary estimate of damages to the building is around $150,000, Balentine said. The building is owned by Rick Ciampa.

Fire crews from the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Eliot, South Berwick, Ogunquit and York Beach helped fight the fire.