NEW YORK — Baseball made its call on the Chase Utley slide: out.

Major League Baseball and the players’ union have banned rolling blocks to break up potential double plays, hoping to prevent a repeat of the takeout by Utley that broke the leg of New York Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada during last year’s playoffs.

“From my understanding, we’ve been trying to work on this for a few years now,” Utley said at the Los Angeles Dodgers’ camp, “so I don’t think one instance determined everything.”

Maybe, but fans may see it another way – the Chase Utley Rule.

Under the change announced Thursday, a runner must attempt a “bona fide slide,” defined as making contact with the ground ahead of the base, being in position to and trying to reach the base with a hand or foot, trying to remain on the base after the slide, and sliding within reach of the base without changing his path to initiate contact with a fielder.

An umpire can call both the runner and batter out for a violation. Baserunners may not elevate or kick a leg above the fielder’s knee or throw his arm or upper body.

A runner who makes a permissible slide cannot be charged with interference, even if he makes contact with a fielder.

“I imagine there will be a little bit of an adjustment for the middle infielders but also the baserunners,” Utley said.

Tejada missed the World Series because of the injury sustained at Dodger Stadium in the NL division series. Utley was suspended for two games, a penalty still under appeal.

Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus looked at Utley’s slide and the rule change from two perspectives.

“I didn’t have any problem with that even if it looked a little dirty,” he said. “But in that situation, I’d probably be doing the same, trying to break the double play.”

But then he added: “As a fielder, that’s awesome. Nobody’s going to get you if you’re out of the way.”

In mid-September, Pittsburgh rookie shortstop Jung Ho Kang’s season ended when his left leg was broken and a knee ligament was torn during a takeout slide by the Chicago Cubs’ Chris Coghlan, who was traded to Oakland on Thursday.

“Those incidents put more public attention on the issue and allowed us to focus on it this offseason, but we had been discussing this topic for several years,” MLB senior vice president Chris Marinak said. “I think there were a confluence of factors that came together this offseason that led to us make the change.”

For players’ association head Tony Clark, definition was key.

“It allows middle infielders to appreciate where they can go and where they can be safe,” he said, “as well as allowing players to appreciate … where they need to go to try and break up the play,” the former All-Star first baseman said.

Going forward, takeout slides and neighborhood plays – where a middle infielder fails to touch second base – will be subject to video review. In the past the neighborhood play wasn’t covered by instant replay.

“A shortstop will drag his right foot across the back corner of the base. I don’t think that will ever change,” said Colorado Manager Walt Weiss, a former All-Star shortstop. “The second baseman, I think, is more affected by this rule, because sometimes they leave the base before the ball gets there.”

Baseball and the union also agreed to limit mound visits by managers and pitching coaches to 30 seconds, and to cut the countdown clock for between-innings breaks by 20 seconds to 2:05 for most games and 2:25 for nationally televised matchups.

CLARK BEGAN his tour of the 30 spring-training camps by pointing out that the players’ association will defend the rights of players under investigation for domestic violence.

Commissioner Rob Manfred put Colorado shortstop Jose Reyes on paid leave this week pending a trial scheduled to start April 4. Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman and Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig also are under investigation by MLB.

“It’s going to be very important that despite what has been written and what has been offered publicly, that due process plays itself out,” Clark said Thursday. “The reality is we’re having dialogue and we’ll continue to, that the rights of the players involved will be protected.”

ORIOLES: Right-hander Yovani Gallardo and the team finalized a $22 million, two-year contract with a 2018 team option, a deal revised from the original $35 million, three-year agreement reached Saturday.

Because Gallardo turned down a qualifying offer from Texas, the Orioles forfeit their first-round draft pick. Texas gains an extra selection after the first round.

Gallardo is 102-75 with a 3.42 ERA in his career.

GIANTS: Right-hander Matt Cain underwent a procedure to have a cyst removed from his upper right arm. He’s expected to resume throwing in approximately 10 days.

BLUE JAYS: Outfielder Domonic Brown, an NL All-Star in 2013, signed a minor league contract. Brown played just 63 games for Philadelphia in an injury-plagued 2015 season.

CUBS: Outfielder Dexter Fowler agreed to stay, spurning a $33 million, three-year offer from the Orioles to accept a $13 million, one-year deal that includes a mutual option for 2017. Fowler batted .250 with 102 runs and 17 homers in 156 games for the Cubs last season.