BOSTON — Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had his jailhouse phone calls hacked ahead of his first murder trial, and prosecutors and his current defense team say they were never told, according to a news report Friday.

The Boston Herald reported that the hacking happened when Hernandez was being held in a Boston jail in the summer of 2014. Hernandez was convicted the next year of killing the boyfriend of his fiancee’s sister in 2013. He is now serving a prison sentence of life without parole and is awaiting trial in a 2012 double homicide in Boston.

Peter Van Delft, spokesman for the Suffolk Sheriff’s Department, said the breach happened after Hernandez was moved there from a different jail.

The department’s Superintendent-In-Chief Michael Harris said in a written statement Friday that they discovered the breach during a security check in 2014 and found that its contracted telephone database “had been accessed for telephone calls placed by detainee Hernandez.” The department “concluded that nothing discovered as a result of this breach necessitated that the Sheriff’s Department should notify the District Attorney,” Harris said.

Prosecutors said they were never told the calls had been tapped.