SKOWHEGAN — A family of three was left homeless after a fire Wednesday morning that also took the life of the family dog.

Dozens of firefighters, trucks and equipment from six towns responded to the scene just after 11 a.m. at the corner of Blair and Cote streets on the otherwise quiet east side of North Avenue.

No one was home when the fire was reported and no one was injured.

Skowhegan Fire Chief Shawn Howard said flames were showing when the first crews arrived at the single-family, two-story home.

“There was fire throughout the first floor and most of the second floor on arrival,” Howard said. “We did a primary search and made sure nobody was in the structure; there was a dog that was pulled out.”

Howard said the fire investigation will continue throughout the day. He said it was uncertain Wednesday morning if investigators from the state fire marshal’s office will be called in to assist.

Howard carried the dog out of the house and covered it with a white blanket.

Dannette Dalton, who lived in the house with her boyfriend Michael Smith and a third person, arrived from hunting in Cornville and had to be consoled by Skowhegan police, friends and family members.

She later took off her orange hunting jacket and laid it over the blanket covering her dog.

This story will be updated.