Wednesday, April 23, 2014
MIAMI —The Associated Press and other media outlets urged a judge Tuesday to grant access to police videos made shortly after pop singer Justin Bieber’s arrest last month on driving under the influence and other charges.
Justin Bieber is shown in mugshots after his arrest Jan. 23. Media outlets are urging a judge to grant access to police videos made shortly after the pop star’s arrest.
The Associated Press
The news organizations said in a motion filed in Miami-Dade County court that the 19-year-old has no legal basis to prevent release of the videos, taken at the Miami Beach police station after he was booked Jan. 23. Bieber’s attorneys have asked a judge to allow them to review the videos before their potential release.
Attorney Deanna Shullman, who represents the AP and the other news organizations, said in the filing that Bieber cannot legally compel a state agency to withhold a public record and that his attorneys have not identified any exemption that would apply. In addition, she said the law would permit only certain parts of the videos to be withheld or redacted if they were exempt or deemed confidential.
“Quite simply, the defendant’s private will does not trump Public Records Act mandates,” Shullman said in the motion.
A hearing is scheduled Thursday before Miami-Dade County Judge William Altfield. The office of State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle has denied the AP’s request for the videos pending the outcome of the hearing, Shullman said.