Monday, December 9, 2013
• NINTH ANNUAL PIES ON PARADE
WHEN: 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: Historic Inns of Rockland, plus 20 local businesses and restaurants
HOW MUCH: $25 to sample more than 40 kinds of pie. Children ages 10 and under pay $10. All proceeds will be donated to the Area Interfaith Outreach Food Pantry & Fuel Assistance Program. (Each $25 ticket provides 15 meals to hungry families.)
• The inns are also offering two-day lodging packages beginning at $345 that include tickets to the event, two personal pies and special tastings and tours on Saturday.
INFO: (877) 762-4667 or 596-6611
• FOURTH ANNUAL PIE AND ART GALA TO CELEBRATE NATIONAL PIE DAY: Bring a pie (doesn't have to be homemade) to this popular event, and eat pie while you listen to pie poetry (pietry) and watch a dramatic piece about pie. You'll be able to vote for the best sweet and savory pie, and winners will receive $50 cash prizes. Organized by the "Portland Pie Council."
WHEN: 6 p.m. Wednesday
WHERE: Mayo Street Arts, 10 Mayo St., Portland
HOW MUCH: $5, plus you are encouraged to bring a pie
INFO: Visit the event's Facebook page at: on.fb.me/Ydv0OC
• WHOLE FOODS ANNUAL PIE SMACKDOWN
Sample the store's pies, then vote for your favorite. Enter to win a pizza party.
WHEN: Noon to 2 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Whole Foods Market, 2 Somerset St., Portland
HOW MUCH: Free
• PIE AND WINE TASTING
WHEN: 5 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday
WHERE: Aurora Provisions, 64 Pine St., Portland
HOW MUCH: Free
• IF PIE CRUSTS are your nemesis, call on one of the experts at Crisco. They actually have a pie hotline that's answered by pie experts who can share tips, recipes and advice on any aspect of pie making. The Crisco Pie Hotline is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and can be reached by calling (877) 367-7438.