Thursday, December 12, 2013
By ROD HARMON Deputy Managing Editor
Record Store Day is almost here, and as usual, the Maine-based Bull Moose chain is leading the charge with scores of limited edition vinyl, special swag and an in-store appearance by a bona fide rock legend.
Details about the biggest day of the year for vinyl enthusiasts began coming out earlier this week, and GO has the scoop on what's sure to be some of the most sought-after, collectible and just plain cool items.
So without further ado, let's dive right into some of the highlights of goodies coming your way on April 20. (Please note that some releases may not be available at all participating Record Store Day retailers.)
• "Live at Bull Moose" by Mumford & Sons: The hottest band in the world right now brought its "Gentlemen of the Road" festival to Portland last summer, and performed at Bull Moose's Scarborough store to kick things off. This EP, available on both vinyl and CD, captures that set, which contains songs that later appeared on the Grammy-winning "Babel" performed live for the first time in the U.S.
• John Densmore, "The Doors: Unhinged": A new book by The Doors' drummer details his years-long fight to keep his former bandmates from using the band's legendary name and logo with a new lead vocalist and a succession of skin-beaters. Densmore will be signing copies of his book, including the limited hardcover edition, at the Scarborough Bull Moose.
• The White Stripes, "Elephant" (10th Anniversary Edition): It's hard to be believe it's been a decade since the thundering notes of "Seven Nation Army" first blasted through the speakers, but Jack White is commemorating his old band's commercial breakthrough with a special LP edition on multi-colored vinyl.
• Rush, official Record Store Day T-shirt: Now that the Canadian power trio is finally getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month, you can celebrate with this special edition tee while you hum "Tom Sawyer" and thumb through the RSD discs.
• Patty Griffin, "Ohio": Only 500 copies of this 7-inch single are being pressed, and only 25 will be autographed, so snatch one up while you can. (And no, it's not a cover of the CSNY song.)
• GZA, "Liquid Swords": This classic 1995 album is considered by many to be the best solo effort by a member of Wu-Tang Clan, and it's been reissued in a deluxe four-disc vinyl set, half of which consists of instrumental versions of the originals. Best of all, the box set includes an actual mini chess set.
• David Bowie, "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" and "Drive-In Saturday Night": Not one, but TWO limited edition Bowie 7-inchers, one of which is a picture disc. How can you not love that?
• R.E.M., "Live in Greensboro": A five-song EP recorded during the "Green" tour in 1989 includes a patch from that tour -- not a reproduction, an actual tour patch.
Deputy Managing Editor Rod Harmon may be contacted at 791-6450 or: