November 11, 2012

Augusta man burned in wood stove fire

Fire officials say the man used gasoline to start a blaze in his stove.

The Associated Press

AUGUSTA — Fire officials say an Augusta man is being treated for serious burns following a fire that started when he used gasoline to start a fire in his wood stove.

The state fire marshal’s office says 38-year-old Michael O’Leary was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland after the Saturday morning blaze. His wife was treated at MaineGeneral in Augusta for smoke inhalation, and the family dog died.

Officials say the couple’s ranch-style home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said homeowners should never use a flammable liquid to start a wood stove fire because the vapors are explosive and cause a fireball.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)