October 9, 2013

Motel fire in Scarborough displaces 12 people

Route 1 has to be shut down for about 20 minutes.

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

SCARBOROUGH — A fire at a Scarborough motel Tuesday displaced 12 guests and forced authorities to close Route 1 for about 20 minutes during the height of the evening rush hour.

click image to enlarge

Scarborough firefighters release a hot spot in the outside wall of the Itsa Good Motel after a fire broke out late Tuesday afternoon.

Gordon Chibrioski / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Gordon Chibroski, Staff Photographer Scarborough firefighters search for hot spots Tuesday at the Itsa Good Motel as the chief and deputy investigate inside the room after the fire was put out.

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Scarborough Fire Chief Michael Thurlow said his crews had to lay water lines across Route 1 because the hydrants were on the opposite side from the Itsa Good Motel. This forced Scarborough police to stop traffic on the major thoroughfare and reroute it through the Scarborough Downs racetrack property.

A family of four, including two young children, lived in the unit where the fire started. Their unit was destroyed and they lost everything, said Ellen Ellsworth, the motel’s owner.

Ellsworth identified the displaced couple as Alex Pagen and Monique Mills. They lived in the motel unit with two children, ages 18 months and 4 years. They were not at home when the fire broke out.

“They were excellent folks,” Ellsworth said. “They had been saving up enough money to move into their own apartment.”

John Lamb, a spokesman for the American Red Cross, said his organization will provide food, clothing and temporary shelter to 12 individuals displaced by the fire.

Ellsworth said the motel was not insured. She said it is unlikely that she will be able to rebuild given her lack of financial resources.

Thurlow said the cause of the fire, which was reported at 4:07 p.m., remains under investigation. He said the fire caused heavy smoke damage to the remaining seven units. Everyone escaped safely.

The motel, formerly known as the Oak Leaf Motel, is located on the southbound side of Route 1 between the entrance to Scarborough Downs and Tire Warehouse.

Most of the other motel residents said they rent units by the week.

“It’s inexpensive housing that I can afford,” said Bob Dinsmore, who has been renting a unit with his girlfriend, Sylvia Cox.

Cox had just returned from work and was getting ready to take a nap when she heard someone yelling outside her room. Cox grabbed photographs of her children, stuffed them in a tote bag and fled to safety.

Mike Danzinger said he had just got up from a nap when he heard Ellsworth’s son, Jamie Jutras, pounding on his door. Jutras, who helps his mother manage the motel, ran from unit to unit, pounding on doors and shouting, to make sure everyone got out safely, said Danzinger, who works at Pat’s Pizza in the Old Port.

Danzinger, who lives next to Pagen and Mills, said he could smell smoke but saw no flames as he fled his unit.

Another tenant, Adrian Wisher, had just left the motel to feed horses at Scarborough Downs racetrack. The entrance to the racetrack is just a few hundred feet away.

Wisher, who rented a room at the motel for the racing season – he lives in Delaware – is a horse trainer. When he spotted black smoke curling up from Route 1, he drove back to his room to find the motel on fire.

“I thought the smoke was coming from the tire place,” Wisher said, referring to the Tire Warehouse.

“I’m doing better than those guys (Pagen and Mills). They lost everything,” Wisher said.

Dennis Hoey can be contacted at 791-6365 or at:dhoey@pressherald.com

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

A fire at the Itsa Good Motel on Route 1 in Scarborough on Tuesday caused many to be driven from their rooms. The fire started in the room where Alex Pagen, right, and Monique Mills stayed with their children, Jake and Mia. Scarborough investigators John Gill, left, and Garrett Strout interviewed them after they returned and found they lost everything they owned.

Gordon Chibroski, Staff Photographer


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)