January 16, 2013

Fire destroys linens, toys at Westbrook pet shelter

Animal Refuge League officials are asking the public for donations to help replace the items.

From staff reports

WESTBROOK – A fire in the laundry room at the Animal Refuge League on Wednesday caused smoke damage but did not injure any animals or workers.

Shelter officials said in a posting on Facebook that all linens and 85 percent of the shelter's dog toys were lost in the fire. They are appealing to the public for help replacing the items.

Fire Chief Michael Pardue said the fire started in laundry inside a dryer. Firefighters put it out quickly, he said, and there was no structural damage to the building.

He said the building was evacuated and about 10 animals were moved from pens near the laundry room to keep them from breathing smoke.

Pardue said the fire damage was limited to a dryer unit and firefighters helped to vent the smoke from the room.

The Animal Refuge League is asking the public for donations of towels, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, comforters and dog and cat beds. Donations can be dropped off at 449 Stroudwater St. in Westbrook.

Patriot Subaru on Route 1 in Saco also will collect linens for the Animal Refuge League.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)