September 15, 2013

Improper disposal of smoking materials blamed for South Portland fire

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

SOUTH PORTLAND — A fire that broke out Sunday afternoon in an apartment dwelling at 24 Liberty Lane in South Portland is being blamed on the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Lt. Robb Couture said residents of the apartment building called the Fire Department around 3:22 p.m. with reports of black smoke and flames coming from the third floor.

When crews arrived they found light smoke in a third floor apartment and a small fire burning on the porch. The fire, which was quickly put out, was confined to the porch. No one was injured.

Couture said the fire is a reminder to the public to take precautions when disposing of cigarettes, and to use approved containers.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)