September 24, 2013

Eleven of alleged mall terrorists captured, Kenya says

By ALAN BOSWELL McClatchy Foreign Staff

NAIROBI, Kenya — With speculation rampant about the nationalities of the gunmen who seized control of a Nairobi shopping mall Saturday and executed scores of shoppers, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta declared Tuesday that the bloody siege was finally over, with five terrorists killed and 11 suspects taken prisoner.

click image to enlarge

Relatives of Johnny Mutinda Musango, 48, weep after identifying his body at the city morgue in Nairobi, Kenya Tuesday Sept. 24 2013. Musango was one of the victims of the Westgate Mall hostage siege. Kenyan security forces were still combing the Mall on the fourth day of the siege by al-Qaida-linked terrorists.

AP Photo / Jerome Delay

click image to enlarge

Ramesh Vaya, center, is comforted by family members after lighting the funeral pyre for his wife Malti, who was shot dead in the attack on the Westgate Mall, at her funeral at the Hindu Crematorium in Nairobi, Kenya Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2013. Ramesh and his brother both lost their wives in the attack. Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says security forces have finally defeated a small group of terrorists after four days of fighting at the Nairobi mall.

AP Photo / Kate Holt

Related headlines

The Kenyan leader announced that 61 civilians and six soldiers had died during the brazen terrorist attack, the deadliest in the country in 15 years.

The death toll was expected to rise, however; Kenyatta said investigators must now pick through the debris of the Westgate shopping complex — three of its floors collapsed — where more bodies are expected to be found. Dozens of people thought to have been in the mall when the attack began are still unaccounted for. At least 240 people were injured.

“The terrorists and civilians are trapped in the debris,” Kenyatta said. “These cowards will meet justice, as will their accomplices and patrons, wherever they are.”

The capture of 11 of the suspected attackers should go a long way toward helping authorities learn their identities. Al-Qaida’s affiliate in Somalia, al-Shabab, has claimed responsibility for the attack, calling it retribution for Kenya’s invasion of Somalia in an effort to crush al-Shabab.

But rumors have been flying since Sunday that at least some of the Nairobi assailants grew up outside Somalia, including in the United States — something of paramount interest to officials in countries that have taken in hundreds of thousands of Somali refugees in the past two decades.

At least 20 men have left Minnesota alone since 2007 to join al-Shabab, in what the FBI calls one of the largest recruitment drives in U.S. history by a foreign terrorist group.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said this week that “at least 40 to 50 Somali-Americans” had gone to Somalia to be trained.

Others doubt the authenticity of the reports of Westernized attackers, which originated at a time the Kenyan government couldn’t give the exact number of assailants waging terror in the mall.

“Suggestions that British and American nationals were part of the Westgate attackers are to be treated with caution,” Valentina Soria, a security analyst at the defense consultancy IHS Jane’s, said in an emailed statement.

“It is surprising that Kenyan authorities were able to provide rather detailed information on some of the attackers so early in the investigation,” Soria said.

The attack drew substantial attention from U.S. and other intelligence agencies, reports indicate. The command center for the Westgate operations was swarmed with a host of American military officials assisting the Kenyan operation, according to two people who visited the center. They agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk to a reporter. Israel is thought to have provided advice on the counterterrorism operations; the Westgate complex is Israeli-owned.

The scale of death was especially shocking because, unlike most terrorist attacks with such high casualties, no major explosive was used. The attackers exacted their death through gunfire and grenades, killing swiftly and efficiently.

Kenyatta, whose nephew and nephew’s fiancee died in the attack, declared three days of national mourning in memory of the dead.

His speech marked an end to the bloody, drawn-out ordeal after much confusion about what was taking place. On Monday evening, the Twitter accounts of Kenya’s Interior Ministry and Defense Forces, as well as some local news outlets, declared that the mall had been fully secured. On Tuesday, however, more gunshots could be heard from the mall, where smoke still spewed from Monday’s fire.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)