Friday, December 13, 2013
From staff and news services
Police Tuesday released this sketch of a suspect who attacked a woman on the West End on Nov. 17.
Police say body may be convicted killer’s victim
State police say the body of a woman found in the woods in Lisbon may be that of Christiana Fesmire, who has been missing since last year.
Buddy Robinson of Lewiston was convicted last month in Fesmire’s murder. He has not yet been sentenced.
Robinson and Fesmire, 22, lived in different units of the same building when she disappeared in July 2011.
Maine State Police said the remains were discovered Tuesday near the intersection of Wagg and Ferry roads.
The body will be taken to the state Medical Examiner’s Office for identification.
Collins, Pingree announce $70 million contract for BIW
U.S. Sen. Susan Collins and U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree of Maine announced Tuesday that Bath Iron Works has been given a $70 million contract that will enable it to continue to design, plan and modernize the Navy’s warships for at least another year.
The contract affects BIW’s work on DDG-51 Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers, which began in 1989, and on FFG-7 Oliver Perry-class guided-missile frigates, a program that was launched in 1975.
“This contract represents $70 million of work at the yard next year, which is important to keep some of the best shipbuilders in the world on the job,” Pingree said in a prepared statement.
“It also represents the Navy’s continuing commitment to the surface fleet, which is crucial for the future of the Navy and for our national security,” Collins said.
Police release sketch of man sought in West End assault
Police have released a sketch of a man being sought in connection with an attack in the city’s West End last month.
Police say a man ran up to a woman on Vaughn Street near Western Cemetery at 10 p.m. on Nov. 17, knocked her to the ground and assaulted her.
The woman described her attacker as a black man, 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8 and weighing 170 to 180 pounds. He was wearing a dark knit watch cap, a dark jacket and jeans, police said.
The woman was taken to the hospital, treated for injuries and released.
Police are asking anyone with information about the case to call 874-8533.
Lt. Scott Pelletier said it appeared to be an isolated incident and there has not been an increase in suspicious activity in the West End.
Diocese in ‘full compliance’ with charter on sex abuse
An independent review of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland shows that the diocese is in “full compliance” with the church’s charter to protect minors from sexual abuse by the clergy.
Dave Guthro, a spokesman for the diocese, said the annual audit found that all diocesan employees and active clergy had been subject to criminal background checks and that employees were implementing programs to protect children from abuse. The audit was conducted by StoneBridge Business Partners of Rochester, N.Y.
“We are 100 percent compliant in all areas of the audit, which was a three-day, thorough, on-site review by independent auditors,” said Bishop Richard Malone in a news release.
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People was approved by the U.S. Catholic Bishops in June 2002.
Its mandates include procedures to remove clergy members or church employees who have sexually abused minors, and the reporting of all allegations of sexual abuse to authorities.
Casino’s six-month take: $30 million in net revenue
Oxford Casino executives say the facility has taken in more than $30 million in net revenue in the six months since it opened, but expansion plans remain uncertain.
Jack Sours, general manager and vice president, said there are no immediate plans to expand, but the casino eventually would like to build a hotel to attract overnight visitors and not just day-trippers.
An expansion completed in September bumped the number of slot machines from 529 to 819. The number of table games increased from 12 to 22.
Sours told the Sun Journal that the casino also has to take into account planned expanded gambling opportunities in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
The casino has produced nearly $13 million in tax revenue for the state.
Woman charged in sex case withdraws her guilty plea
A woman charged with sex crimes against a 7-year-old boy has withdrawn her guilty plea because the judge in the case determined that the agreed-upon sentence was too short.
Katie Dube, 27, of Glenburn was scheduled to plead guilty Monday to five counts of gross sexual assault and two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor.
The prosecution asked for a 17-year sentence, while her defense attorney recommended a seven- to 10-year sentence.
District Court Judge Bruce Jordan said Dube should spend 21 to 25 years in prison, which prompted a tearful and apologetic Dube to withdraw her plea and opt for a jury trial.
Prosecutors say Dube and her former boyfriend abused the boy over several months earlier this year.
Child porn trial delayed for ex-Husson sports star
Jury selection in the trial of a former Maine college basketball star accused of having child pornography on his computer has stopped so the defendant can have a competency evaluation.
A judge on Monday ordered Dana Wilson, 62, of Brewer to have the evaluation to determine whether he is competent to assist in his own defense, delaying his trial.
Prosecutors told the Bangor Daily News that Wilson’s attorney filed a motion saying concerns had been raised by Wilson’s current mental health provider about his competency.
Wilson has pleaded not guilty and is free on bail.
Wilson, who averaged an NCAA Division III-leading 35 points per game during his senior season at Husson College in 1973-74, was inducted into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame this year.