June 19, 2013

Maine man dies from burns while cutting oil tank

The Associated Press

BLAINE — Fire officials say a 72-year-old northern Maine man has died after being critically burned while cutting up an old heating oil tank with a welding torch.

The state Fire Marshal's Office says Reginal Otis of Blaine died in the overnight hours after being flown to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with burns to 80 percent of his body following the Tuesday afternoon accident.

Investigators say it appears the torch ignited vapors as Otis was cutting apart the tank at his home. It's unclear what type of flammable liquid remained in the tank.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)