March 22, 2013

Deaths of sex offenders take turn to bizarre

By Eric Russell
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

Bruce King

click image to enlarge

Lawrence Lewis

He was registered as a Level 3 sex offender, someone who poses "a high risk to reoffend and ... the degree of dangerousness posed to the public is such that a substantial public safety interest is served by active community notification."

The Essex County District Attorney's Office in Massachusetts could not immediately provide details about King's conviction.

Police are still trying to figure out how long King was in Maine. "We think it's been a few years, and one assumption is that he came here to hide," McCausland said.

King was not on Maine's sex offender registry, even though he was required to notify Maine authorities within 24 hours when he moved here. He also was in violation of Massachusetts law, which requires sex offenders to verify their residency in person at least once a year.

Police say King had been living with Lewis since last year. Fogg moved into the house recently. King and Fogg got married on March 1.

A police affidavit indicates that Lewis asked the couple to leave at some point. They stayed at two motels in the area in the days before the men died.

Police got a missing-person complaint from Lewis's son, David Lewis, on the day Lewis's body was found. The younger Lewis had last spoken to his father on March 7, and during that conversation, the father said he was worried that "a hit" had been placed on him because he was a sex offender.

David Lewis tried calling his father for several days, without success, then went to the house to look for him. The son didn't find his father inside but did find two dogs. When he came back two days later, the dogs were gone, the affidavit says.

During that time, King and Fogg were staying at the River's Edge Motel in Medway. Employees there have said the couple acted strangely during their stay and insisted on absolute privacy.

The couple also spent one night at the Gateway Inn in Medway. Employees there said King and Fogg had two dogs.

King and Fogg left the Gateway Inn on that Monday, March 11, as police were starting to investigate Lewis's disappearance.

An affidavit indicates that police showed up at the motel around the time the couple were leaving. Fogg told police that when King saw a police car he "started to freak out." She said he held a gun to her head and told her to drive or he would kill her.

Fogg also told police that King had said in the past that he planned to kill Lewis. She said she knew King was a sex offender but had not registered in Maine.

King and Lewis had criminal histories dating back decades. It does not appear that they ever were incarcerated in Maine at the same time, and it's not known how they met.

According to available records, Lewis served time from July 1997 to October 2002, and King was in prison from April 2003 to September 2006, said Scott Fish, spokesman for the Department of Corrections.

Eric Russell can be contacted at 791-6344 or at:

Twitter: @PPHEricRussell

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)